Must seePhoto by w_lemay on Wikimedia Commons
Rookery Building
Burnham & Root's 1888 hybrid of masonry and steel, centered on a glass-vaulted light court with a gilded Wright lobby.
You're standing at the Rookery, completed in 1888 by Daniel Burnham and John Wellborn Root. At eleven stories, it was one of the tallest buildings on earth the day it opened. The name comes from the temporary city hall and water tower that sat here after the 1871 fire, a spot so thick with pigeons that Chicagoans called it the rookery. Root carved two stone rooks into the LaSalle Street archway as a nod to that nickname.
Step inside the light court. Root designed the building as a hollow square so every office got daylight. The result is this two-story atrium, roofed in patterned glass and wrapped in wrought-iron galleries. In 1905, Frank Lloyd Wright was hired to modernize the lobby.
He covered Root's dark ironwork in white Carrara marble, incised with arabesques and filled with gold leaf. The effect is a room that glows even on an overcast day. Root also engineered a floating foundation of iron rails and concrete to spread the building's weight on Chicago's soft clay, a technique that let the city's towers climb higher than anyone thought possible.






