Must seePhoto by Velvet on Wikimedia Commons
Palais Rihour
The last 15th-century fragments of a ducal palace, tucked behind a 19th-century rebuild.
You're at Place Rihour, in front of a building most people pass without a second look. The facade facing the square is not medieval. After two fires, the palace was pulled down in 1846 and rebuilt over the following eleven years in a neo-Renaissance style by the architect Charles Benvignat. The real survivors sit behind it.
Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy, began this palace in 1453, and it was finished in 1473. The only original Flamboyant Gothic fabric left is the chapel, now called the salle du Conclave, and the spiral staircase. Both came through the fire of 23 April 1916 that destroyed the town hall around them. The chapel had served as the city magistrates' meeting room since 1684; today the tourist office occupies the old guard room.
The chapel opens on weekdays, morning and afternoon, and stays shut at weekends, so if this is a weekday, step inside and look up at the ribbed vault. Head north from here to the Grand'Place, one short block away.



